Sunday, August 21, 2011

Lil' Lyd turns 3


Like every other parent raising kids, I can't believe how fast my little girl is growing up. This weekend magnified that thought as we celebrated Lydia's birthday number three. We had a little party for her right on the grass next to our apartment. A family from down the street came over to celebrate with us. They have three kids close to Lydia's age and she was so excited to have them over. She talked about it all week and come the day of her party, she couldn't talk about anything else.

This was actually the first day of complete sunshine for the entire week (luckily, the thunder and lightning didn't carry over from the previous 4 days). As part of the party, I made a pinata (if you tilt your head and squint your eyes it looks like a butterfly). Eventhough Lydia was scared to hit the pinata (she didn't want it to fall on her head), the pinata was actually her favorite part of the party. I think a close second to the pinata was receiving a gift from her friends that attended. She got a baby Ariel disney doll. As soon as she got it, she learned that baby Ariel loves to swim in the bath tub. To our surprise, Lydia immediately left the party to go take a bath with her new baby doll. This effectively killed the party.

Later in the evening, Lydia came down with a strong fever. All she wanted to do was lay down and sleep with me at her side. Selfishly, I didn't mind one bit. This gave me some time to let my thoughts slip away into the past as I reminisced about the last 3 years. True, raising Lydia has had its share of troubles and sacrifices (I don't think I have slept through the night more than 20 or so times in the last three years). But none of the trying moments came to mind. All I could think of was how wonderful and rich life has been with Lydia in our family.

To my dearest Lydia, happy birthday!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I don't have anything interesting to say, but I want to let you know that I read your blog and I love hearing the updates. This time around I particularly love that Lydia took a bath in the middle of her birthday party.